So proud!

I moved to Brisbane just over a year ago and really have only made one friend until recently. I work pretty much 24/7 and rarely have time off for anything. It has been getting me really low and I have been feeling dreadfully lonely. I work most nights until 1-2am and get as much work as I can done during the day, but that varies depending on what day it is and what mood the kids are in. Then I am back up at 6am tending to the baby.

In Sydney, I had an amazing network of friends, and a great support network to help with the kids. Here in Brisvegas I have neither, I don't really have many friends nor do I get any relief with the kids. So I often feel like a pressure cooker, on the verge of an explosion. I haven't really had time off from looking after the kids now for a year. DH loves his new job, but he works in the valley and spends many hours away from home, which pretty much makes me a solo mama to 4 kids and running a business all by myself. I was becoming increasingly depressed and realised I needed to do something that I enjoyed with a group of women who had similar interests to me. I am a very artistic person, so I had a bit of a scout around to see what was available on the pennisula.

WOW that was a bit of an essay.....anyway.......

I found a patchwork shop not too far from home ( I am still breastfeeding, so I needed to be close to home). I tried patchwork a few years ago and really didn't like it at all, but since there was not much else on offer I thought I'd give it a go again. I'm glad I did. When they showed me the lap quilt we were to make for the beginners class I was under-enthused. It was not my taste AT ALL. It was a very traditional sampler, done in burgundy florals with cream backgrounds and olive green sashings. BLERGH. So I changed it, as I do....I thought it was important to learn the basics, so you have a good foundation to spring from. So I did the sampler squares with a modern twist..............I LOVE IT! I could never have imagined it turning out better! Of course when I got asked if I wanted wool, cotton, polyester or bamboo batting I opted for bamboo!








I had suggested to the kids that I make them quilts and get rid of their revolting mink blankets they have had for years. They were all a little ho hum about it until they saw Sophie's finished! now they are arguing over who's quilt is next LOL.

I can't say I have a passion for patchwork, but it does give me an opportunity to spend some time with other women doing something creative, the end product is ultimately useful. I get to use lush fabrics and exercise my artistic muscle, can't ask for more than that!

Best bit I have heaps of hungry caterpillar fabric left so I can make some cool nappies and clothes! woohooo.





6 comments:

FionaJill said...

Fantastic! It looks nothing Like I pictured. Its so much more amazing!
I am going to have to fight with the kids too! I"M NEXT!!

Miss Cinders said...

Michelle that is absolutely stunning hun!
You've got some lucky little kiddies there!

Amanda Jean said...

it's a wonderful quilt!!! i'm glad that you are giving quilting another try. it sure is a handy hobby to have. :)

Mirrigold said...

Oh wow, that is absolutely incredible. If you ever considering doing custom orders for those quilts I'll take a VHC one any day!

Unknown said...

Your quilt looks gorgeous :) I could have written much of your post myself, except that I only have one baby.. you're doing an amazing job with everything you've achieved!

Anonymous said...

Great for you. I only have one bubba and no business and I am climbing the walls at 5pm some days. The Eric Carle fabric is so great hey? Nice to have a bit of light shining in your week.

Post a Comment

Wild Child Facebook Badge

Minicuteture Facebook Badge