Soul food

Do you have a favourite dish or meal that when you eat it you feel OK with the world? that every delectable mouthful is almost heaven on a stick?

I do...it is roasted beetroot salad and home made vanilla meringues.

Last night I was feeling a little blue, just a tad flat and a bit worn out. DH & the kids had already eaten dinner early and I was upstairs alone and feeling blergh. I decided to make myself something nice for dinner....so I cut up and marinated some beetroot and made the salad (see below for recipe) and while the beetroot was cooling I used our own organic eggs to make home made meringues with real organic vanilla bean. OMG how could all not be good with the world after that...

Roasted Beetroot and marinated Feta salad
Peel about 4-6 fresh organic beetroot, chop into bite-sized pieces toss liberally in organic extra virgin olive oil and rosemary. Place in a 180 degrees pre-heated oven and roast turning occasionally for about 30-45 minutes, until tender but still firm, iykwim. Allow to cool.

Wash and dry generous handfuls of organic rocket ( I get mine from the rocket man at Northy Street Market, it has a robust peppery after-taste). Place in a large salad bowl.

Toss in organic marinated Australian feta cubes with black peppercorns and roasted beetroot. Drizzle excess olive oil from cooking over the top. Toss and serve.




Home-made vanilla meringues

Separate 4 egg yolks from whites. We use our own home grown organic eggs at room temperature. If they are from the Austroloup Chickens I use 4, if they are from the silkies I use 6-7.

Beat whites at high speed until firm peaks form that maintain structure.

Gradually beat in 7-8 tablespoons of caster sugar until thick and glossy.

Split 1 fresh organic Vanilla bean and scape seeds into meringue mix. Quickly beat to distribute Vanilla evenly through meringue.

Spoon desertspoonfuls onto greased and lined baking trays and cook in a preheated 120 degree oven for 1-1.5 hours...

I bet you can't let them cool before you try one LOL! we never can in this house!


This recipe gives you crisp and light meringues with a crunchy but not dry outer with a rich a gooey inner. mmmmmmmmmmmmm.............nom....nom...nom..


See all those tiny black dots....that is all the little vanilla bean seeds....tiny little flavour packed seeds of bliss! OMG they are divine. I LOVE LOVE LOVE fresh Vanilla...actually I think I might make some more tonight...nom....nom...nom...


2 comments:

Sarah said...

oh yum and Yummier!!

The Wild Child said...

Oh yes indeed very very moorish!!!!

Post a Comment

Wild Child Facebook Badge

Minicuteture Facebook Badge